Examples of costs for making a will, trusts and estate administration
When people ask us: how much will my Will cost? The answer is that we need to know more about you before giving you a fixed price. We first need to understand how simple or complicated your Will might be.
We offer a free quote service so please email us or call our team and we will get back to you as soon as we can. From there we will provide you with a cost and how long it is likely to take. You are under no obligation to use our services once you receive this quote. And if you are unsure of anything, we are here to explain what is involved.
You can book an appointment in 2-3 days and complete your Will in under 2 weeks. We can finalise your Will at your convenience by phone, video or face-to-face by following Covid-19 safety processes.
Example for writing a will
Fixed fees for Extraction of Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration
Extractions – No Inheritance Tax (IHT)
- IHT 205 and Statement of Truth = £950 (+VAT, and disbursements).
- IHT217 Transfer Nil Rate Band = £150 (+VAT, and disbursements).
Extractions – Where IHT is Payable
- IHT 400 and Statement of Truth = £1,500 – £2,000 (+VAT), dependent on the matter complexity.
Creation of Property Will Trusts
- Deed of Assent of Deceased’s Beneficial Ownership to Trustees = £500 – £600 (+VAT, and disbursements) TR1 and AP1.
Deeds of Appointment and Retirement of Trustees = £350 (+VAT).
Deeds of Variation = £600 (+VAT).
The cost of disbursements are added to any matter and for the three items below no VAT is charged.
- The Probate Registry fee is a set fee of £155 + 50p per sealed court copy.
- The Commissioner’s fee for a Probate Application is £7 per proving executor (no codicil).
- The Commissioner’s fee for an application for Letters of Administration is £5 per proving administrator.
No two estates are the same. Some estates which at first appear simple can become complicated as the administration progresses. Some estates are complex because Inheritance Tax is payable, or other elements such as the estate contains foreign or business assets.
Our prices are an hourly rate plus VAT and range from £185 – £280. More complicated matters require more experienced legal support. As a guide, the average hourly rate is £234 + VAT. A simple estate with no complexities can take between 10-20 hours work.
Meet some members of our Wills and Probate team
Wills, Trusts & Probate
Wills & Lifetime Planning Manager
Wills, LPAs and Trusts